Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Back to Work

It was VERY hot today. Over 30 degrees again and I don't think any of us Canadians are functional in that kind of heat. I started with Cashew and she already thought it was extremely hot first thing in the morning. She went super though and we had great walk, trot, and canter in the rings at Arroyo. The first ride at the barn and she was so confident and quiet. At a point she did think she was done though, halted, and she would not go forward. I felt like a little kid on their stubborn pony with my legs coming off her sides and kicking her repeatedly, without any forward motion resulting. Rebecca, one of the trainers was nice enough to hand me her whip in the ring and then we went right back to work. She just needed a bit of encouragement in the heat I think! Still, I am very happy with her and cannot get over how confident and relaxed she is at the barn. She goes straight to work when you take her out! I am very excited for Lientje to see her! We will likely do a lesson in the next couple of days - I think we are ready now! =)

I had a lesson on Oslo and Skippy with Lientje at 1:00 and 2:30 - the hottest part of the day. Both horses and myself were breathing hard and sweaty in a matter of minutes! We did lighter rides since it was their first day back after the show and Skippy especially, was confused that we were even doing anything in such weather! Oslo was very stiff and tight. I think he is finally feeling the aftermath of his shenanigans. The poor guy was not feeling great and I could tell that his muscles were sore and just so tight. We tried to stretch him as much as possible, but he was very hesitant and I am sure tomorrow's ride will also be spent stretching. We are also going to try and get him on the "shaker" at the barn. It is exactly what it sounds like! It is a stall with a shaking floor in it. I think Oslo and I will both stand on it for a bit tomorrow morning! It is supposed to loosen things up and make the horse, and you, feel better. Shannon stands on it every morning with her horse and swears by it. She often has back pain and the shaker apparently helps her with that. Therefore, we think it is worth a try for Oslo and I am eager to try it as well!

Skippy was actually super in his lesson and we had some very good work. He even let us get him more supple and engaged under the sweltering sun! With both horses I need to work on getting them even more in front of the leg and get more into the habit of putting my leg on for only 2 or 3 strides and then almost taking it off/lessening the aid to check to see if the horse is still with me. I am pushing too much each stride and need to "have the horse do more of the work" as Lientje says! Once again, mom is correct in saying that most issues have to do with the horse being behind the leg. The concept sounds so easy, but I have been working on it for years and it still needs more work! Still so much to learn and my timing needs to get that much faster.

I really hope it cools down tomorrow (something I am having a hard time saying, coming from the cold Alberta winter) but the heat is taking a toll on all of us. Either way I will be at the barn tomorrow morning again to ride everyone and likely do some more watching of Steffen riding his line-up of talented ponies! Just hanging out at the barn watching all the trainers ride the various horses is very educational, and even if it is 30 degrees out, I should not be complaining!

I do apologize for not posting any pictures recently. I have been having problems trying to upload photos on the blog. I have quite a few on facebook, but I know not everyone uses facebook, so I am working with Claudia back home to see if we can get the issues figured out. Hopefully I can upload a bunch soon! Sorry to keep you in suspense.


Linds

No comments:

Post a Comment