Friday, May 24, 2013

Progress!

Yesterday began as a bit of a frustrating day for Oslo and me since we were still really struggling with the connection. He seemed tense and resistant, perhaps not quite settled in yet. Also, it became more frustrating when Lientje began working on the count for the canter zig-zag in the Grand Prix with me. I am not entirely sure what my problem is with counting, but apparently counting to 3 and then 6 was too much for me! I have such a hard time with the timing of the change after each of the half-passes. Praise Lientje for bearing with me and breaking the count down for me. First we just started with the half-pass for 3 strides, then the change and ride straight for a 6 tempi. Sounds easy eh? I didn't think so by the end of the ride! Dad asked Lientje if I was hopeless at the end of the lesson! I know he was only joking (well he better have been anyways!) but I was wondering the same thing! So, I went home and watched the Grand Prix zig-zag on you-tube over and over again! Totilas was a good one to watch as the strides were easy to count.

I came out this morning with more confidence and dad and I counted all the way to the barn in the car! And you know what? I totally got it! Getting that count is the first step and then once you get that, you can focus on riding the half-passes for a 10. No point trying to get the half-passes perfect if you don't have the count solidified. One step closer now! Oslo was so much more relaxed and settled today as well. I felt it as soon as I jumped on and walked him on the trails before going in the arena. He just felt more himself. Therefore, we worked on some of the more collected trot elements, specifically the passage. It is all about keeping him in front of the leg. Slowly bring him into the more collected and then out before he collects too much, because that is the point where he falls behind the leg. No point in uber collecting him right away if I can't bring him in slowly while keeping him in front. Then there is definitely no way I can keep him in front if we get into the passage too quickly. The passage steps feel 100 times better when he is in front - round over the back and always forward thinking so we can get out at any point. I was super proud of him today! And myself for my amazing counting skills! haha.

Cashew was very good yesterday and she keeps becoming more and more supple through her body, making the connection much nicer. We put a bit more pressure on her yesterday using walk halt transitions while tapping her with the whip whenever she leaned into the hand. We are trying to use the whip to "break up" the bracing through her body which results in her pulling forward in the transitions. So a small tap with the whip causes her to sit and shift the weight back onto her hind legs and soft in front. This can be quite stressful though when you are holding them back in the halt and walk because it seems as if they have no where to escape. Miss Cashew handled it well though and her neck was starting to soften and "wiggle" (versus her bracing and setting it) by the end of the ride. Lientje decided some in hand work and long lining would be a good next step since she was able to take the pressure in the halt work. Therefore, we put the caveson on her today and Lientje worked her magic by just working her in hand. The caveson was low on her nose and we had loose side reins on her. Lientje then has a lead attached to the caveson so she can adjust her head position and keep her against the wall. She just walked and halted, as we did yesterday when I was on her, and tapped her with the whip when need. She was a bit resistant at first but let Lientje work on her for a number of rounds. I then got on and rode the trot to walk and halt transitions. I have never felt such a "gumby neck" on her before! She was soft and elastic :)

Dad is spending a lot of time on the beach these days! I shouldn't say anything because I love spending time there too. It is perfect for running on and it can be quite fun just hanging out and meeting the locals. Everyone here seems so friendly! Our neighbour has a cat, Pepper, that comes down to the beach with him! Quite the site! Dad also has started another project - he is trying to get some palm tree seeds to germinate so he can take them home and plant them in the solarium! He has this fascination with palm trees and has been tempted on numerous occasions already to buy one and smuggle it back to Canada.

I will lightly ride the ponies tomorrow and then turn them out for a while. Oslo is completely filthy from rolling in the dirt pens every day! Sunday will be a day off from riding and then back into lessons Monday through Thursday before Lientje goes to Germany for the weekend. Yes, Lientje goes home to visit her parents for a weekend. She must be immune to jetlag, otherwise I have no idea how she functions after trips like that! Australia last weekend and Germany next weekend and full days of teaching during the week. She is amazing in more ways than not!

Goodnight from San Diego!


Lindsay + Oslo + Cashew

No comments:

Post a Comment