Saturday, May 5, 2012

Team Daaarby

I think Esmee and I did a terrific job representing Canada and proving that size does not matter! Team Canada placed second today and Esmee and I did it on the smallest horses in the derby! Ricky stands 14.3hh and Esmee's quarter horse cross was only slightly larger. Placing second as a team and standing beside all the large warmbloods in presentations was quite the experience!

Esmee had a good go to start our team off and placed 6th individually. She did a great job and rode a tactful test. Ricky and I got off very well and had a very fun ride! He is quite the little handy guy and gives you a good feel when he is over his back. He really gave me a good effort in the trot and a little too much effort in the canter - he started one tempis after our first pirouette instead of countr cantering! No worries though, I had tons of fun and would ride him any day! He gave me a super little expressive trot and we managed to keep him up in front and supple at the same time. I really did have tons of fun rding him and enjoyed every step of the test - the one tempis were just a added bonus! =)

Ricky and I placed 4th overall and Ricky was a little rocket ship in the presentations. I do not think I have had to hold a horse back so much in my life! Maxine (Ricky's terrific owner) did warn me to "hang on" in the presentations but to be honest I thought "how spunky could this litttle guy get?!" Apparently quite spunky! I was holding on for dear life!

Just watching the young horse classes (Cashew watch out when I get home!). The take away from the 5 year old class and commentary from Stephen Clarke is: "You can only collect as much as you can go forward." They have a test rider for the 4 and 5 year old classes and HOLY CRAP, I want to be able to ride like that test rider some day. He truly brings out the best of those horses in a matter of minutes and looks great doing it! It is really fun to see the horses under the test rider and to see how quickly and efficiently he gets them in front of the leg. Spectacular!

Between watching the different classes and riding the various horses, I feel like I have taken in a lot over only a few days. I cannot wait to get home and jump back on my own ponies. An experience like this teaches you a lot about your own riding and also makes you truly appreciate the bond you have with your own horse. As with any horse, Oslo has been difficult at times, but I do not think I realised the bond that we have and I really miss him!

The Intermediaire I and Grand Prix Freestyles are this evening along with the international rider farewell ceremony. I am very excited to see the Freestyles tonight for there is some very talented horses here.

It is sad to know things are coming to a close, but I am so thankful to everyone who has helped me get here and supported me through my riding career. A big thank you to my amazing parents who have been behind me every step of the day and have helped me become not only the rider but the person I am. Thanks to Esmee for being a terrific teammate. I don't think I could have had a more supportive and fun teammate! A huge thank you to the owners of Ana and Ricky - Connie and Maxine. Not only are they remarkably generous but also so supportive of all the international riders. Toni Venhaus did a terrific job of organising the show and figuring out the required logistics with Dressage Canada in order for Esmee and I to attend this event. And thank you to ADA and PAADA for sponsoring me on this journey. One more general thank you to everyone back home who has helped me in the past with my riding and given me support along the way!

No comments:

Post a Comment