Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Another First Ride

We started the day off with a quick tour into the heart of Sydney. We rode the train downtown with all the morning commuters and then took a ferry to Manly which provided us with a great tour of the harbour. It is truly a beautiful harbour city.

Then it was down to business with my ride on Casey first thing in the afternoon at Horsely Park. Right from the start I felt more confident and had a much better feeling for him. He had great lateral work and I really felt like I could trust the canter more today. I just had to get him more on the half-halt and keep him supple in front.

Esmee had a great go on Ricky today and they seem to be jelling together!

Another horse - Anna Paplova, arrived this morning as well for us to try. Esmee was content with her match so they offered me a ride on her for me to compare to Casey. Anna is a 12 year old Hanoverian with a great temperament, but a strong personality (as her owner described her). She is completely opposite to Casey in every way so it was an interesting adjustment for me to make in a matter of minutes! Anna is short, compact, and very strong. Her neck is almost as wide as it is long and she knows how to use it! She has great natural gaits though and gives you a very nice feeling if you can get her supple! It was a battle to get her truly in front of the leg, yet keep her trust in you as the rider. Her canter is very balanced and I had a much better go at the flying changes on her compared to Casey. Anna seems to need more leg support and connection in all her work than Casey. Therefore, when I was given the choice, I chose Anna. It was a very difficult decision due to the significant differences between the horses and the connections we have made with both owners, but I just felt that my riding style was more suited towards Anna. She may not have been the safest choice since she can be quite difficult and strong in front, but I just felt the match was better. I have the confidence that I can really focus on the quality of the gaits and my riding with Anna as my partner. So I hope she feels the same and we can have another great ride tomorrow while getting used to the competition ring! I am one ride behind now since Anna didn't arrive until today, but I have the confidence we can make up for it come Thursday!

Jog tomorrow as well. I will try and do another update from the park afterwards!

Goodnight from Sydney!



Lindsay and Anna =)


No comments:

Post a Comment