Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Lientje's Back!

We had a great weekend working on all the homework Lientje has given us. There is so much to learn and both the ponies and I agree we need to take it a few steps at a time. I am just a little too slow at putting all the puzzle pieces together at the moment. So I find it very beneficial to have the dedicated help form Lientje for a few days in a row and then some quiet time with the ponies to try and feel for the connection and suppleness. Lientje gets the timing and then I need to work by myself to try and teach myself the feeling. This is in one case where it is about as hard as it sounds. Trying to at first feel the different feelings and then be able to identify them so you can quickly correct or soften, is very difficult. But, if you have to go around thinking about everything when you ride, you will never be quick enough. You have to feel it and then almost automatically respond without thinking about it, otherwise you are too late (and Cashew runs through the shoulder or Oslo quits in the piaffe)! That is what I find amazing about Lientje's teaching (and riding) - her knowing and/or feeling for the horse even thinking about going against the hand or leg. She most often catches it before there is any chance for the horse to follow through and become stiff or braced. She still often sees it on Oslo just as I start to feel it and that unfortunately is too late. I need to be better at feeling for that and catching it before she can see it from the ground! Some serious homework ahead.

Lientje stayed a day longer in Germany to look at a few horses so we had our first lessons for the week today. The ponies and I enjoyed some stretching and trail riding yesterday. I think it was nice for them to get a bit of an extended break as they are working very hard. Also, Lientje got to celebrate her mother's birthday over in Germany so I am happy for her that she got to stay an extra day. She is crazy to just go for the weekend, but I know that is the only way she can find time to visit her friends and relatives back home. So I think it was good for Lientje to get a extra break too :) And happy birthday Doerte (Lientje's mom)!

That is all for now from California. Have a good night every one!


Lindsay + Oslo + Cashew

No comments:

Post a Comment